Thursday, January 4, 2007

Oxford - Arrival

My trip began rather lovely like when I was pulled aside to have a special screening as I passed through security. Apparently the gate agent had written a little code (lines of curlicues) that informed the security guards that they should go through all of my luggage and give me a pat down. I can't complain too much though, as it was the first time ever.

Flight was fine, slept most of the way as I took a sleeping pill ahead of time. Did wake up briefly when they served me a vegan dinner with grapefruit as a side. I hadn't realized it was grapefruit and took a big ol' bite.

Upon arriving at Heathrow it struck me as very odd that at 7am it was still dark out. I've since learned that it doesn't get light here until around 8ish during winer. Oh my.

Oxford itself is a fabulous little city. I only walked around for about an hour yesterday because of all the things they wanted us to do. Ate at the Queens Coffeehouse, nothing to special but then I guess it wasn't too pricey either. Walked down a few blocks to where a majority of the shops were at; cute little area. Although I've seen quite a few garden/park type areas, Oxford doesn't seem like a very good city for people who are a very big fan of trees/green, as there aren't a lot of them lining the streets.

Anyway, time for a mini-nap before stores open. Pictures to come when I can.

1 comment:

Jess said...

oh Queens Lane Coffee- definitely became one of my favorite places to hang out. Try having breakfast there, and also, if you like it, you MUST try their Baklava. So tasty. :)
I like the blog!
-Jess